From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 14:45:52 -0600
there is quite a bit of difference between the UV3R and UV5R radios.
The uv3r is smaller, only 2W max output, has a female SMA on the radio, and
doesn't have a keypad for DTMF or direct frequency entry.
It uses a 3.7 volt camera battery, and the uv5R uses a 7.4V radio style
battery.
The uv5R is 4 or 5 watts output, has the keypad for direct frequency entry
and DTMF, and speaks many of the menu selections.
It is also cross compatible with kenwood speaker mics and programming cable,
as are the wouxun radios.
The uv3R has a single yaesu style speaker mic jack.
The UV3R has preset volume settings, with the lowest being fairly
loud...there is off, then quite loud and nothing in between...
I like the UV3R because it is really very small, has enough power to hit a
couple of the main repeaters I use and has decent enough battery life.
I had a friend program it because that is vertually impossible for a screen
reader user since the uv3r programming software, either the baofeng, or the
chirp software are not accessible for all intents and purposes.
You can program it by hand, but it's a really tedious process since you have
to switch the VFO by 5KC steps and it seems to always revert back to 144MHZ
when you go back into programming mode.

The uv5R is quite easy to program by hand.
It gives enough speech feedback to let you know what you are doing or to
confirm the steps.
Yes, it uses the male sma connecter on the radio, but so does the wouxun and
there are a number of good after market antennas availible with the male
sma.

hope that all makes sence?

73
Colin, V A6BKX