From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:03:15 -0400
Well, I don't know about "well under", the usual price from the China/HK sellers is around $48. Or buy from a US seller with US support for $65 at www.importcommunications.com . But at less than $50, these really are practically disposable.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Aug 30, 2012, at 4:38 PM, Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> no, it doesn't talk much more than most of the common chinese ht's.
> However, it sells for under 50 bucks which gives you the radio, antenna,
> desktop charger with wallwart and an ear bud head set.
> It has a full key pad and you can enter frequencies directly, as well as use
> the key pad to access menus and make menu setting changes.
> It's a well made radio, has 4.5W output on VHF and UHF, and also has dual
> stand by so you can monitor two frequencies at once, though not listen to
> both simultaniously if you get my meaning.
> Basically it flips between two frequencies, if you want, and stops on which
> ever one is busy.
> It does verbalize quite allot, though not frequency yet.
> What it doesn't verbalize is pretty basic and nothing that can't be easily
> confirmed or set via the keypad.
> You can enter tones directly with the keypad as well making it easier to
> know what you have set.
> It's similar to the wouxun uv d1p and d2p radios, but half the cost.
> It's also smaller than the d1 or d2p wouxuns.
> It's also compatible with kenwood and wouxun accessories like speaker mikes
> and programming cables.
> I suspect it's the low cost that has made it quite a sensation around the
> world.
> there are currently well over 2500 members on the uv5r yahoo group, and that
> is probably a fairly small representation of the number of people who
> actually own one.
> On the technical side, the UV5R has probably the best receiver sensativity
> specs I've ever seen at 0.13UV on the VHF portion of the ham band, and
> 0.14UV on UHF.
> harmonics are pretty good, though it does exceed minus 40DBC on the third
> harmonic of VHF, which happens to be in the amateur UHF band anyway...the
> rest of the harmonics on both VHF and UHF are far below 40DBC.
> The third harmonic on VHF is something like 37DBC, so 3 DB out of spec.
> The buttons on the UV5R are easy to feel and are a bit bigger than say on
> the ic t90A or the th F6A.
> You have reverse and power adjustment functionality with single buttons on
> the keypad, along with Scan.  It has full 16 button  DTMF capability on TX
> as well.
> It even has ANI and PTT ID along with DTMST functionality for commercial
> applications.
> you have full ctcss for rx and tx as well, and you can even set different
> tones for tx and rx if you want.
>
> The rx audio is very clear and commercial grade loud if you want.
>
> You also of course have full tx between 136-174 and 400-470 out of the box,
> and 136-180 and 400-512 with software modification.
>
> Manual programming from the key pad to store memories and so on is very easy
> as well.  You don't NEED software to program this radio...none of the
> current software is accessible yet anyway.
>
> hope that answers some of your questions?
>
> 73
> Colin, V A6BKX

>>> Bob