From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 10:15:26 -0500
Scott,
I got my Extra when there was still a code test and I made 20 WPM a
challenge for myself and in the process learned to enjoy Morse code a
whole lot more than when I was obliged to learn it for my General
back in the dark ages!!  And the night after I passed I worked France
at the bottom of the forty meter band.  I honestly thought I had
misread the station!
the written part was tough; I didn't honestly understand all of the
heavier technical and mathematics - did some "best guess" on some of
the questions and passed but not near 100 percent.  Why did I do
it?  I guess because it was there and besides my wife got her license
about two years prior to my getting the Extra and was close on my
heels.  I was damned if she was going to get hers first!!  So I won,
but not by much!!  She did in two years what it took me nearly thirty to do!!
I still think it is fun to learn new things but the Extra is no small
task!  So the best to you witchever way you decide to go.