Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:31:19 -0400
Tom,

A noise bridge will null as you approach a 1:1 Swr.  It doesn't require you
to transmit a signal at all.

The Atom is just a device which reads Max output from the Xmitter.  It
requires you to transmit and you basically tune for maximum output, or
smoke.

The old Conway tuning aid was a voltage-controlled oscillator you could hook
across any meter to read its output.

Steve, K8SP