From:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:37:32 -0400
Hi everyone,
Though this hasn't been mentioned in the recent threads, I've found the no
counterpoise antenna and 20 foot crappie pole combo to work well. The
shorter version is 25 feet of zip cord (two conductor insulated wire) you
can split the two conductors apart from one end to the 12.5 foot point and
remove the 12.5 foot section of one conductor thus freed. The goal is to end
up with zip cord with a 25 foot conductor and a 12.5 foot conductor. I load
this quite successfully through a 4-1 balun into my IC-703+ It will work
from 6-20 meters and requires no counterpoise. If you don't want to split
the zip cord and remove half of one conductor, you can remove a few inches
of one of the conductors, creating the necessary 12.5 foot wire, just be
sure to make a gap big enough to ensure no coupling. You can make longer
versions to be able to load lower bands, the technique is the same, simply
remove 1/2 of one of the conductors and make it 50 feet, 100 feet, etc. My
plan is to make a 50-foot version as an inverted l so that I can try it on
40-meters and I'd really like to try a 100-foot version and see how it works
on 80. This is, as I understand it, another twist on the end-fed zepp.

You can buy these 20-foot fishing poles for less than $20, I got mine for
$12 and change. You could lash it vertically to the top of the motor home,
perhaps on the rail at the top of the ladder which is on the back of many
motor homes. That would get the top of the pole a good 30 feet off the
ground and make it easy to deploy the 25 or 50 foot version and the 100-foot
flat top would be within reach, as well.

73 all

Ron Miller