From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 19:43:02 -0400
Jim,

The 2000 was out several years before the 480 and doesn't speak as much.
    There are things like mic gain, power setting, and  compression
settings that  you will have to count clicks on the 2000.  The 2 radios
don't even use the same voice board.

Right now, the top of the line for speech from Kenwood is the 590, which
uses the same board as the 480, but also  gives some speech readout
while in transmit.   Things like power output, swr, alc, and compression
  are all spoken on the 590 in TX.

Not sure what the new big boy from Kenwood may  speak differently, but
if you can afford one, you can afford to pay someone to stand behind you
  and tell you what is on the display.

I do have a 2000, 480, and 590 in the shack, and they are all fine radios.

73, Steve KW3A