From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2012 16:51:10 -0400
I have had a number of radios.
Specifically, the 2000, 590, k2, k3, and kx3.
The 2000 is a fine radio if you want all functions and nearly all bands in a single box.
My biggest complaint with it was its selectivity on hf / 6 meters.  ONly one 15 kHz roofing filter.  AGC pumped very much in crowded conditions.  There is a fix if you want.  Inrad has a 3 kHz roofing filter which they will install.  The installation is non-trivial, so best to let them do it.
I never had it done, but the person to whom I sold my 2000 did it on my recommendation.  He said it was like having a new rig.

As to the 590, a very good radio especially for its price.

Over all, I will take the k3.  Better selectivity, and with the ham pod, accessibility is over 95%.
The auto tuner I think will tune a wet piece of string.  Also, if you are a short wave listener, or AM dxer, the k3 provides synchronous detection.

The kx3 is a portable 10 watt all mode 160 through 6, with an upcoming 2 meter module.
the Morse output interface is present, but incomplete at the moment.  The ham pod works well with the kx3 as well.

If you have specific questions, either write them or give me a call.  I'll be here all weekend with the exception of needing to run our local club net, 9:00 pm tomorrow  EST I'l be glad to talk with anyone about this.

Gary Lee