From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 19:06:22 -0600
well, considering you checked where the coax connects to the latter line and
found a short, then the short is at one end of the coax/latter line run, or
the other.
I'm going to throw my bet behind the pl259 connecter being the culprit here.
A real easy way to check without chopping the connecter off, is as Pat says,
disconnect the pig tail coax from the latter line, then test the pig tail by
itself, and test the latter line and antenna by itself.
If the pig tail shows a short, then it's your pl259 connecter, if the latter
line still has continuity, then it's something shorting in that direction.
You don't even need to take the antenna down and go through all that hassle.
Just do it this way on the ground and you'll be able to quickly determine
where the short is occuring.
If it's the pig tail connecter, then you can chop it off and put a new one
on.  If it's showing a short across the end of the latter line, then you
will most certainly have to take the antenna down and look for it up the
line somewhere.
And I would definitely disconnect all antennas and recheck your coaxial
feeds from your operating position up to the connections on the top of your
RV...just to insure that there isn't something shorting out there.
I think you said you did that and found everything to be good, but double
check.
I don't want to be insulting, but when you use your continuity meter, you
are getting a solid tone when you test the g5RV right? the solid tone
indicates continuity or a dead short...if it doesn't emit a tone, then it's
open, no short.
Just trying to insure all the steps and procedures are correct.

73
Colin, V A6BKX