From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:04:14 -0400
You really need to get some way to check your swr, or at least match the
antenna.   The auto tuner in the 480  will take care of things nicely,
but I would   only connect it to a   "real" antenna.  From day one, that
snake thing sounded like a disaster waiting to happen.   With no idea
what the swr is, I'm  surprised it didn't smoke sooner.

As has been said, Kenwood service won't touch this one.   Even when you
find someone to work on it, some parts can be  hard to find.

73, Steve  KW3A