From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:04:09 -0400
Hi all,
Well folks, how do I begin this?
As you all know, I bought a used kenwood 120, and it was working absolutely great!
I was using the snake antenna, and it was great on 20, and 15 meters!
So, after dinner, I said, "well Trippy, fire that rig up and have a nice after dinner QSO!"
So, I fired it up, and responded to a station in hungry, who copied me just fine.
Then, here's where all heck broke loose.
I then, went up to the phone band, and, I responded to a cq there, a km4 station, and the moment I keyed up the microphone, I heard a poof kind of noise, and the rig shut off. So, I shut off the power supply.
Then, I thought, "well, let's turn it back on and see what happens."
So, I turned the power supply back on, no problem with that, and then, I turned the rig on, and it receives fine.
However, to the left of those 3 knobs on the top of the rig, there is a grading kind of thing, just like a speaker feels, and it smells a bit like burn smell.
So, I tryed to go back to 2 cqs on 20 cw, and they were loud, and nobody heard me.
Folks, I don't know what to do from here.
The hams in this town are clickish, and don't talk to me, or want to have anything to do with me, as I told Bob, k8lr, on the phone, weeks ago, when we talked about my antenna situation.
Now I have another rig and power supply, but folks I am scared to death to hook it up.
The last thing I need, is to lose another rig!
Anyone have an idea what I could be dealing with?
All I know is, my audio was so good before tonight, and now it's horrible, absolutely aweful.
I just wonder if I blew something!
It's just so depressing!
Everytime I try to get on hf, it's like, it's not ment to be.
I'm at a complete loss, just totally lost, right now!
I've never had this problem in 35 years of hamming. Never blew anything up on any rig, at all.
take care,
73,
Trippy, who just wants to have my hobby back and enjoy it, and I mean, really enjoy it