Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:37:43 -0400
In my opinion, the G5RV is a compromise antenna.  Anytime you resotr to
matching stubs and shortened lengths, you are dealing with a compromised
antenna.

Having said that, there are plenty of people who get out decently on 80 or
75 meters using them.  Key is installation and how you run the feedline
perpendicular to the antenna.

If you are confined to using a wire antenna, the best one you can do is a
decent length dipole i.e. 130 feet for 75 meters, fed with open-wire and a
tuner.  You can work all  bands with that.  With the G5RV I used at our
FieldDay site a few years ago, I had good luck on 80, 40, 20, (10 meters
wasn't open); and it would not load on 15 Meters.

Steve, K8SP