From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 02:07:29 -0400
Tom,

I like the ideas you've already gotten, but I would also be sure  to
clean all corrosion   from the terminal, whatever the terminal mounts
to, and the screw itself.  Use a little steel wool, or swipe a plastic
pot scrubber from the kitchen, or one of your XYL's emery boards when
her back is turned.  If you use steel  wool, be sure not to leave behind
any little bits of it.

Before reassembly, I'd use a dab of Penatrox or something similar.  It's
also called No-a-lox and probably a few other things.  Can be had at the
Homo Depot or  electrical place.   It's used to prevent corrosion
between dissimilar metals. You only need a little bit.  Just a thin film
on the mounting surface, both sides of the terminal, and the screw.
Don't overdue it.   This stuff also comes packed along with
aluminum antennas  for putting between joints during assembly, so you
may have some kicking around.

I'd also wonder about the  connection between the wire and terminal.  If
it's soldered, it's probably fine, if its just crimped, who knows.
Either way, I'd  check here for problems and at least do a continuity
test from end to end.

73, Steve KW3A