Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:08:21 -0400
Hey Mike,

Welcome to this great hobby.  I'm sure you'll get a ton of opinions.

Depending on what you want and your budget, I'd go for the 590 or the
Ts-2000.  The 570 is nice, but is discontinued and a bit outdated.

The 480Sat and the 590 are similar in that they have excellent accessibility
with the VGS1 optional voice board.  They both run 160-6 with 60 meters, and
they both have internal tuners.  The interface capabilities and filtering
and receiver dynamic range are much improved on the TS-590, so if you can
afford the extra money, it is well worth the cost, in my opinion.  Also, the
590 has the meter readout accessible, while the 480 does not.

As an option, let me throw out the Ts-2000 for your consideration.  If you
want a rig-in-a-box, this is the one with almost any feature you need.  The
receiver performance and filtering aren't quite as good as the 590, but it
is a bit cheaper.  Also, it isn't quite as accessible, as some of the
settings like mike level, power level don't speak, but the knob you adjust
them with is detented and it beeps at the min and max levels so you can
determine where they are set.  In addition to Hf, you get 144MHz 70CM
coverage all mode at 100 watts on 2 meters and 50 watts on 70 Cm, it also
has a satellite mode if you ever care about that.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI