From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:08:17 -0400
For Harry:

1. it is exactly as you would expect.
plug a jumper from the antenna port you wish to use on the rig to the input of the antenna tuner.

Don't remember, but I think the 949 is a roleer tuner.  Not my favorite, as you must count turns from one end or the other to get a known position for the inductor.

But, you generally start the capacitors at their middle position and the inductor at minimum.

If using a noise bridge, turn the AGC off on your rig and tune for minimum noise.

If it is a roller tuner, make up a chart for each major portion of each band of interest with entries for inductor position, (number of turns from an end), transmit side capacitor position, and antenna side capacitor position.
When all is done, you will be able to move quickly to the correct tuner settings for any part of any band.

Good luck.

Gary Lee