From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 18:44:14 -0600
The discussion of the Novice ticket reminded me of a web page that I
sent to this list in 2008.

That message follows.

While I'm sure these points will be covered on that page, perhaps with
more accuracy, I will mention a few things here anyway.

First, the WN prefix went away sometime late in 1976, or early 1977,
and was replaced by the standard 2 by 3 call groups that were in use
for each district at that time. In the case of the 5th district, a
friend received a WD5 novice call in early 1977. His was the first
non-WN Novice license I ever encountered.

The license went from a 1 year term to 2 years in 1968, but remained
non-renewable until much later. Two meter phone privileges were
dropped at that same time, but 2 meter CW privileges remained until
the 10 meter CW privileges came along in the mid 70's.

Another thing that went away when the license was expanded to a 2 year
term was the rule which allowed a person to hold a Novice license, and
a Technician license concurrently. I only knew 2 or 3 people who did
that.

The thinking was to give a person who had a Tech ticket some HF CW
privileges in order to build up code speed, since CW wasn't really big
on 6 or 2 meters. In the case of the people that I knew, it didn't
work. They never did move beyond the Technician ticket.

With that duel license structure, the Novice privileges, along with
their associated WN or KN call sign, were still only good for 1 year.

BTW, for those who may not know, until the early 1980's, the
Technician license only allowed privileges on 50 MHZ and above.

Now for my original message from just over 3 years ago.

K5XU