From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2012 06:44:08 -0400
        Colin:

Thanks for your very detailed reply.

I'll check the location of any nuts when I get the chance here, and may
indeed recruit some visual help in the process.

I can respond to two points you made immediately, though.

In your last e-mail, you wrote:

"So when you take the mike cord plug out, does the entire socket move?  and,
how much play is there?  allot or is it just enough to be able to jiggle it
a bit with your fingers?
I'm not sure how a socket can come loose except maybe the nut wasn't
tightened sufficiently from the factory...or perhaps you have the radio up
on a shelf with the mike cord hanging down putting stress on the socket."

When I take the mic off the connector, I can jiggle the connector in the rig
with my fingers.  I wouldn't say there is a lot of play, meaning that the
connector does not seem ready to fall out or anything, but there is a
considerable amount of movement within the socket.

On a related note, the rig is on my operating desk, and connected to my Heil
desk mic on a boom, so I can't imagine that much stress has been placed on
the connector during normal everyday operations.  I am not one to switch
mics often either, so I can't imagine that the connector has been stressed
unduly.

Will keep everyone posted, and appreciate all the thoughts.

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ