From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2012 18:34:40 -0600
there are a few different HT's that offer 6M FM.
The IC T90A...which isn't made anymore, but is still widely availible on the
used market.
I think at least the last few VX series of HT's from Yaesu offer 6M fm as
well...IE the VX5 to VX8x.
You definitely have to use a proper after market 6M antenna though as Mike
says..the stock ducks they offer that are tuned for six, don't resonate much
of anything on that band.
The ICT90A stock rubber duck has an attachment you can screw on to the end
of the antenna, called a club...which makes the antenna present a 50 ohm
load to the transmitter, but which doesn't resonate worth crap.
The yaesu FT8900 mobile offers 6 meters FM, as well as 10 meters FM along
with the typical 2M and 70CM bands.
but by the time you buy one of those, you might as well pick up something
like an icom IC706mark IIg that offers SSB on 6 as well as FM.
the band has to be in very good shape to do much on FM, but one can use SSB
or CW and make contacts without having the band be in perfect condition.

73
Colin, V A6BKX