From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:02:02 -0600
well, perhaps there is an unlisted mod somewhere, but I've scoured the
internet for the past 7 years for ts2000 mods, and there is absolutely
nothing that will make it tx on 220.
It receives just fine on 220, and that is a stock feature, but no tx.
I don't think it is actually technically or physically capable of putting
out RF on 220MHZ, even if you could somehow trick it into keying the
transmitter.  Same is true for opening it up for tx across the VHF and UHF
commercial spectrum, seemingly impossible to do...great from 142 to 152, and
420 to 450, but definitely not 136-174 and 400-470 like most VHF/UHF radios.

Just like the IC T90, when modified, will key up on 220MHZ, but the power
output is so minimal that you can't hear it with a receiving antenna a
couple feet away...it's way down in the 0.01 per cent of a milliwatt range.
The ts2000 isn't built like modern wide band radios, where you can make
software or firmware mods that will make it tx outside of it's preprogrammed
range and work just fine...the actual circuitry prevents it, when it comes
to VHF and UHF frequencies anyway.
anoying to say the least, but there you have it.
Also, no mods to make it get into the 33CM band either, just like most
radios.
If you really wanted 220 or the 1.25M band, you could use a transverter I
suppose, since the ts2k is well equipt to utilize transverters.  Of course
at that point, a brand new 220MHZ mobile would be cheaper and easier to use
than a transverter.
tyt has a 220 mobile with the basic speech output functions we have come to
expect from the chinese radios...everything except freq read out.

73
Colin, V A6BKX