From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:13:31 -0600
ah yeh, but lots of people have kept their vx8's just for the APRS
capability.
It's pretty good at doing that.
Other radios like the IC 92ad also have that capability, but it's tied in
with DStar, and I don't think the 92AD will do strictly APRS work like the
vx8.
Moot point for us most of the time, but there you have it.
APRS can be oh so convenient for our sighted counterparts to help track
where we might be walking or travelling in a vehicle using APRS beaconing.
I was thinking of installing an APRS tracker package in the vehicle if for
no other reason than it could be tracked if ever stolen.
My idea is to use an old handheld, with an open tracker and small cheap GPS
unit stored away behind the rear quarter pannel with DC and coax routed to
it...that way it's out of the way and not easily tampered with by anyone who
did want to take the old beast.
I just wish APRS.fi was a little more accessible somehow.

73
Colin, V A6BKX