From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:18:41 -0700
Most kenwoods are the best as far as I'm concerned.  Later rigs would be
480, 2000, 590, (the latest) and so forth.  Also the 450, although I'm
not sure if you can still buy the voice boards.  As far as vhf, the
tmv-71a is by far the best.  Icoms also are workable, but in my opinion
not as nice as kenwoods.  Icom gives you frequency and mode, and that is
about it.  Kenwoods, depending on which radio, speak frequency, menu
settings, levels and so forth.  The 2000 covers 160 through 450.  480
and 590 cover 160 through six.  Lots of ways to go.  If you want it all
in one radio, the 2000 is a good way to go.  I think the 590 has by far
the best dsp.  If you have specific questions, write on or off list.  I
presently own a 480, 590, 2000, an icom 718 and a Yaesu 897d which is
terrible to run as a blind person.
73
Butch
WA0VJR