From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 09:43:01 -0400
The TS-830 has tube finals and driver so you do need to tune it and will
need a tuning aide to tune the radio. There are 3 knobs to adjust to tune it
up and 1 affects the receive, the other 2 you *need* to have the TW-1 or
something similar so you can tune for high output power. If you're just
using an antenna tuner tuning for max noise, the TS-830 is not the radio for
you. I had one for a while and miss it but had to sell it when the move was
immanent, if I ever have the money and find one in as good shape as mine was
in, I'd have a very hard time passing it up, I can tune it for max output on
the TW-1 and get the good reports all day. That's actually the radio I did
pretty well in the 10 meter contest with a few years ago and I miss it but
right now, times are as tight as they've ever been around here so what I
have is what I have, hopefully I don't have to scale back anymore. Really
though if you don't have the TW-1 or something like that, you'll just cook
the finals over and over and over again, you really need that to tune it up
when you change bands or make drastic frequency changes on 75 meters. The
TS-120 is probably the better choice for you, also that control you
mentioned actually adjusts the mic gain, power is adjusted by how hard you
drive it on that radio but that's not a bad one especially with an optional
CW filter in it.