From:
"Dan B Dyer Jr,/Danny" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 22:55:05 -0400
Hi Jerry, as a matter of fact, there is! a little indirect though it may be.
Simplest way is using a current model Millenium QSYer, you order it with, or
if you already have one, which it seems to me you may, to use with an Icom
rig you have? don't you?  Anyway, John ships the qsyers with choice of a
yaesu, Icom, and or, I think a cord to work with some Kenwood radios.  The
qsyer gives you, with the 817, direct read out of frequency, and mode.  (the
qsyer uses a 9volt battery, but with its' being plugged into the same port
into which you'd plug a computer,
it powers itself from the rig, since any time any cord is plugged into the
port, a little power is used.

*another way you can use, is to program the freqs you most use, into
memories/there are 200 plus the already programmed sixty meter channels,/the
channel 3 can be updated using a program called chirp, (not sure whether
Yaesu will change the freq in the new models, but they haven't yet.  Anyhow,
set up your mems with FM, AM, SW broadcast station, or birdy markers, then
block the A B and C buttons, and if you have the radio like you want it, the
function button as well, and away you go.  Actually, the british keypad
equivalent to the qsyer, allows you to store and call up, I think it is
forty memories from the keypad itself, although you don't have cw read out
with that keypad.  There is, I understand, an Italian fellow, who kits, and
I believe will construct one for those who don't want to build, a keypad
which gives both CW read out, and memory management.  (The qsyers are $50 or
so for a blind hams' first one, the brit keypad's about $140, and I'm not
sure how Paulo gets for his, although he's onh the ft817 Reflector, and I
can find out if you like.  (never had any of them but the qsyer, but that
has pretty much sufficed.  If you want to talk further by phone, I'm more
than willing to, but I gotta run for now.  Work 7A-4P tomorrow, and I've got
some more to do before then.  *******As always, Yaesu's not very accessible
so far, but _Nobody else makes a rig that little that covers that much, will
fit in a suit coat pocket if desired, and will do as much as well for as
little cost as the 817.  *Not perfect, but pretty cottonpickin neat if you
can work with the workarounds---and I'm not selling them, it was a love-hate
relationship for me until I got someone to make a guard to keep the AB&C
buttons and the func button away from inadvertent pushes/went through four
or five of them before finally getting and keeping one/bought this one in
late 2007, and for what it is, I really like it! HTH, Danny. inal
Message -----