From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:29:46 -0400
Packet is not used much on HF anymore, because it is limited to 300 baud.
It is used more on VHF/UHF, and there are some tie-ins to the internet.  But
I'm not sure it's used so much in that mode, either.

On HF, PSK31 is used a lot, but its baud rate is very limited.  RTTY is used
a great deal on HF, at 45.45 baud, Baudot code, 170 Hz shift, especially for
contests where PSK31 is thought to be too slow for rapid-fire QSO's.  And
there is a lot of CW on the bands, still.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls