From:
Richard Fiorello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:44:51 -0400
Hi;
This has wandered far from ham radio.  Firstly don't think that any
publisher is required to provide blind people with their material in an
accessible format.  Many do which is a nice bonus but its just that a
bonus.  In the case of arrl which to me is basically a national radio
club, it would have been great for public relations if they had thought
ahead and made the material available for all members.  The fact that
they didn't may say something.  As for me I will never again pay the
blind members rate.  If I renew I think I probably would full pay and
then feel I had more of a right to be concerned that I'm not getting my
monies worth.
Bard does a nice job and the six week delay is tolerable but I am left
with the feeling that lots of hams out there open there magazines and
run to the adds to see what's new or what's on sale?  Unfortunately that
material will always be deleted by nls.
As for the dreaded ada I think things can be summarized briefly.  We now
have braille bills and para-transit but I don't see anyone getting
employment.  If one has a reasonable well paying job life's other
difficulties can be overcome even if I have to hire someone to help.  On
the other hand don't see many blind people pounding the pavement.
Problem with those benefits is they get addictive and why take an entry
level job and kill the cash cow.
I've vented, I'm happy and my apologies to anyone who didn't hit
delete..  	ti
--
richard