Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:41:59 -0500
BlankNEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 24, 2012

*ARRL & CQ Sign Agreement to Provide
ARRL's Logbook of The World Support for CQ's Awards
*

(Hicksville, NY and Newington, CT - Jan. 24, 2012) - CQ
Communications, Inc. (CQ) and ARRL - the national association for
Amateur Radio, have signed an agreement to begin providing support for
CQ-sponsored operating awards by the ARRL's Logbook of the World
(LoTW) electronic confirmation system.. The agreement was announced
jointly today by ARRL Chief Operating Officer Harold Kramer, WJ1B, and
CQ Communications President Richard Ross, K2MGA.

CQ's awards will be the first non-ARRL awards supported by LoTW and
will be phased in, beginning with the CQ WPX award. Additional CQ
awards will follow. The ARRL's LoTW system, an interactive database
recording contacts between radio amateurs was created in 2003 and has
been adopted by 47,500 radio "hams" worldwide. It already has records
of 400 million contacts and grows weekly. The target date for
beginning LoTW support for WPX is April 1, 2012. Amateurs will be able
to use LoTW logs to generate lists of confirmed contacts to be
submitted for WPX credit. Standard LoTW credit fees and CQ award fees
will apply.

ARRL Chief Executive Officer David Sumner, K1ZZ, observed that this
step gives radio amateurs throughout the world an inexpensive and
convenient means of gaining credits toward CQ's popular operating
awards. "LoTW has significantly increased interest and participation
in the ARRL's DXCC, Worked All States and VUCC awards programs. We
anticipate a similarly positive response to the addition of the CQ WPX
award. Amateurs will be able to spend more time operating and less
time chasing QSL cards."

CQ President Richard Ross, K2MGA, said he is very pleased to be able
to move forward with Logbook support for CQ awards. "We have had
excellent results with electronic confirmations for several years," he
said, "and I am glad that we are now able to begin expanding that
convenience to those participants in our award programs who use
Logbook of the World. We look forward to a smooth launch for WPX, and
to the expansion of LoTW support to include the rest of our award
programs as well."

ARRL (
www.arrl.org
 <http://www.arrl.org/>)
is the national association
for Amateur Radio in the United States and publisher of its membership
journal /QST/. CQ Communications, Inc. (
www.cqcomm.com
<http://www.cqcomm.com/>)
is publisher of /CQ Amateur Radio /and
several other magazines. There are currently over 700,000 Amateur
Radio licensees in the USA and approximately 2.5 million worldwide.

“Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live
at the expense of everybody else.”
-Frederic Bastiat

Steve
Lansing, MI