From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 07:56:58 -0800
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the interesting post. Mg can be helpful for weight loss
because Mg supplements can increase insulin sensitivity (1). I have
noticed that I require more Mg when I eat carbohydrates. Otherwise I
become constipated. I have supplemented at least 250 mg of Mg/day for
the last ~15 years. When eating significant carbohydrates I have to
increase that to 500 mg/day. As long as I keep my Mg intake congruent
with my diet, I don't seem to have any signs of insulin resistance.  On
a few occasions I have not increased my Mg when eating carbs and
constipation quickly reminds me that I need more Mg. Insulin resistance
would inhibit movement of insulin sensitive amino acids into the cells,
which may also suggest why you were very hungry on a high fat, high
protein diet.

best wishes,
Ron

1. Mooren FC, Krüger K, Völker K, Golf SW, Wadepuhl M, Kraus A. Oral
magnesium supplementation reduces insulin resistance in non-diabetic
subjects - a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial.
Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011 Mar;13(3):281-4.