From:
"J. V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. V. Rich
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 14:34:51 -0700

Thanks for all the rapid replies.

It was pointed out, rightly so, that there are many different generic manufacturers and each uses their own ingredients and suppliers, so in order to see if a particular medication contains gluten, you need to contact the manufacturer of that one medicine.  In our situation, since we would not know the manufacturer of the medication carried by the pharmacy until we went there with the script, it is a task best begun early in the day!  However, the doctor appt. (which we were lucky to get) was in the mid afternoon on a Friday and by the time we got out, it was too late to do what needed to be done.

So what did I do?  I read the emails I received (three people had taken it without ill effects) went back to the pharmacy, read the ingredients, and got the prescription filled.  I also noted who the manufacturer was of the generic and will contact them on Monday as a further effort to get complete information.  I will repost if I learn that it is NOT gluten free.

One response said that liquid and gel medications don't include gluten.  Since the Tessalon Perles (even the generics) come in a gel cap, this is another piece of reassuring information.

Thanks for being there for us in our time of need!

Jackie