From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:37:01 -0500
With QSB and everything, it is not always easy to peak a beam for the
strongest signal.  Sometimes you can arrive at the correct result by nulling
out the signal and then turning the antenna 90 degrees.  When I lived in
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I had a two-element quad, and that was a good strategy.
Another strategy is to know how many seconds it takes for your rotor to turn
your antenna through a given angle.  The Tailtwister rotor takes 48 or 50
seconds to make a full revolution.  My beam has dual driven elements plus
one reflector and two directors active on 20 and 15 meters.  An additional
director is active only on ten.  With this antenna at 60 feet elevation, on
the 20-meter net, I find it makes a big difference if I am 30 or 45 degrees
off.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com