From:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:07:54 -0500
Hello there,
You said:
" 	That's good. It's only a problem for me if I am trying to get to
something in the middle of the work and need to move a hot iron against
something. I usually don't want to touch anything around it with the hot
iron so knowing right where it is is essential."

The tubing takes care of this problem, with some practice. You hold the
tubing in the curl of three fingers, middle, ring and pinky and feed the
solder through the tube with your index finger and thumb (at the top of the
tube). You use the tube like a cane, finding your way around the project
(memorize it first, try dry runs with cold iron and solder). You find the
joint with the end of the tube (It's cool enough for you to touch to help
you  position it), holding it at a slight angle so the solder can be slipped
out of the bottom of the tube. Once you've got the tube in position, put the
tip of the iron against the barrel of the tube, slide it down the tube to
the joint and when the tip of the iron is in position begin feeding the
solder down the tube lifting it oh so slightly once you feel it touch the
work so that it will contact the iron and flow. Practice, practice,
practice, learn to move the iron and solder away from the joint smoothly,
etc. You're going to make lots of junk jewelry as you practice.

This is just a shadow of a synopsis of the great lessons in those articles.
If you really want to do this right, get them, read them and practice,
practice, practice...

73

Ron Miller
N6MSAClearwater, Fl. USA