Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:03:05 -0500
Rich,

First, iPad is a much more enhanced version of the iPod.  It has a larger
screen and better processor and graphics.  If I recall, they will run on
cellular data or wirelessly, whereas the iPod only runs wirelessly.

Accessibility is similar on all the Apple devices, i.e. very good to
excellent for all the resident applications, provided you get used to the
touch screen and Voiceover gestures, which are different than how a sighted
person uses it.  Voiceover speaks everything so it is pretty easy to learn
as long as you are patient.

The REadToGo app is very nice.  As far as apps go, it is $20, which is at
the upper end of what you'll pay for most apps, but for specialized apps in
the accessibility area it is about standard.  The Learning Ally app and the
Zoom Text app are similarly priced.  The ReadToGo makes it possible to
seamlessly read Bookshare content.  Another good app that does this is
InDaisy, which I think will also read NFB Newsline but I haven't used it;
its reviews are not as good as Bookshare's ReadToGo.

As for a single spot for accessible apps, AppleVis.com is the best.  But,
there are several other sites that post reviews, podcast demos, etc.
including BlindCoolTech.

The iPhone/iPad work with forty different Braille displays.  There are also
tons of different bluetooth external keyboards; some of those are a matter
of personal preference.  A lot of people use the Apple bluetooth keyboard,
which is larger.  Some people use the Keyboard Buddy, I think it is called,
which has a slide-out keyboard incorporated into an iPhone case; I'm sure
there are similar keyboards for the iPad which is larger.

From an iPhone user,
Steve, K8SP