From:
David thurmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:04:05 -0500
Hello,

Awhile back, someone had posted an inquiry regarding the Grundig G3
shortwave receiver.  Well, I had read a bunch of reviews, and decided
to go with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, which is a direct competitor to the
Grundig, so that I could at least enjoy some shortwave listening until
I could save up for that Kenwood dream rig by sometime next year.  I
got one, and if that individual is still on the fence regarding which
receiver to buy for some not-too-expensive shortwave listening, keep
on reading.

There is a huge following for the Sony ICF 7600 and its prior
generations, so evidently someone is having some luck with them, but
not me.  I packed mine up and returned it to Amazon today.  About the
only listening I could do was to WWV on a few bands.  This radio
didn't even pick up NewsTalk 750 AM, a high-power Atlanta AM station
that can easily be heard 80 to 100 miles outside of the city on a
regular old AM radio.  On other shortwave frequencies, I had virtually
no luck at all.

I did thoroughly read through the manual to learn how to use the
receiver's features to help bring in those weaker signals, and I also
used the external antenna as recommended.  I had absolutely zero luck
with this radio, and after a week of frustration, I packed it up and
sent it back.

Granted, I might have gotten a dud from the manufacturer.  Perhaps it
was also operator error, although I brought the receiver into work and
had an experienced fellow ham check it out, with equally frustrating
results.  So, to sum up, if the glowing reviews are any indication of
how this product is supposed to perform, mine was about as far from
what others have experienced as it is possible to get.  Either forget
the Sony ICF SW7600GR, or else perhaps try it out if you can buy it at
a retail outlet where it is more convenient to return it if you get
poor results.

Time to keep putting those pennies in the change jar til I can afford
that Kenwood 590.  If anyone has any recommendations on entry level
transceivers or even decent receivers that don't break the bank, I'd
love to hear them.

73,

David Thurmond, KK4ADV