From:
"T. Joseph Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 04:51:03 -0800
If using a PC keyboard on a Mac, the Command and Option keys are
reversed.  That is, Option on a Mac keyboard is Alt on a PC keyboard,
and Command is the Windows logo key.

The reason for this is historical in nature—way back when, there were
PC emulators and PC daughter cards for the Mac.  Since the Mac
natively used the Command ("Apple") key for native functions, the
less used "Option" key became the one used for a PC's "Alt" key.
This was long before Windows 95, the PowerPC-based Mac, or USB.

At some point, Apple began offering "PC style" extended keyboards on
Macs, which were appreciated by people using those combined Mac/PC
solutions and people like secretaries used to the PC keyboard layout.

Along came the Microsoft Natural keyboard which introduced the
Windows key basically for specialized purposes, and then Windows 95
which generalized the function to the "standard" keyboard driver, and
later came third-party keyboards featuring the same Windows keys and
Application key.

The USB keyboard specification defines an "alternate function" key
(which is literally what Option does on a Mac) and a "computer logo
key".  The first Macs with USB keyboards still had the Apple logo on
the Command key, so mapping the key to "computer logo" was rightly
done.  Of course, Apple has long refused the use of its logo to third
party keyboard makers, but by that point the key mapping stuck.

Likewise, "alternative function" on a PC is Alt, and "computer logo
key" would be the Windows key if it was anything.  And so, the keys
are pretty much defined forever now as "swapped" for PC and Mac
users.

And now you know more about Command, Option, and Alt than you
probably ever wanted to know!

Joseph - KF7QZC