From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:16:53 -0500
Tom,

I usually don't tin the center  conductor of  coax.   Once you've
stripped the coax, do a dry run and see how snug the  conductor fits
into the plug's center pin. Depending on the particular plug and coax,
it may be a very snug fit.   It's very easy to over tin,  or leave
little lumps of solder, which can make it more difficult to insert it.
Try it both ways and see which one suits you.

You may want to add a little file, like a nail file to your soldering
kit.  When you've finished soldering the tip, you may find a little
projection of solder, or lump or bump,  which will make it hard to
insert the new plug into a so-239.   Big lumps can be removed or
smoothed out with heat, but a file  makes it easy to touch things up.

73, Steve KW3A