From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:59:59 -0600
It probably doesn't matter, but since being wrong about this
could let out the magic smoke, you could look for a wall wart
step-down transformer. Some of those things don't even have any
rectifiers in them and simply contain a small transformer with a
low-voltage AC output. You can handle it a lot more safely and
it isn't likely to fry anything or anybody. The transformer will
not change the frequency any so you will get your 60 cycles.

	If you use a wall wart with a full-wave bridge in it,
you will see 120 cycles of hum but nothing really wrong with
that. If the wall wart has a filter capacitor, you still might
get enough hum to register. The only ones that might not work
would be a regulated wall wart. It might be pure enough to not
have enough hum.