From:
David thurmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:36:39 -0500
All,

I expect that this topic has been discussed over and over, so my
apologies in advance.  I am looking to buy my first HF rig, but I have
no idea what the best way to access the equipment is, and what
features on a particular model would be best.

I have seen that speech processing is available on some higher-end
models, but is this really the way to go?  Is it just as good to
purchase a lower-end model that works with Ham Radio Deluxe, or will
any software available to control the rig through the PC work with a
screen reader?  I hate the thought that I am dependent on my PC to
access my rig, but if that makes operating more enjoyable, then that's
what I'll do!

Lots of rigs seem to offer very basic speech capabilities, such as
parroting back frequency selection, but I think I want something much
more comprehensive than that.  So, what are experienced folks in the
real world using to make their equipment accessible for a blind user,
and how?

Many thanks!

David Thurmond, KK4ADV