From:
David thurmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:30:41 -0500
Linda,

Welcome to the list.  You had written earlier about next steps for
getting your technician's license.  Relax, it is easier than you
think!

For starters, you will need to get the technician class manual.  It
includes all of the information you will need to study to pass your
exam, plus the actual question pool from which your test will be
drawn.  It is available at:

http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-license-manual

The version of the manual on this site is text-based and should be
compatible with screen-reading or Braille software.  If that doesn't
work for you, try HandiHams, which I believe has an audio version.  If
that still doesn't work, I believe you can get a Braille or audio
version if you enroll at the Hadley School for the Blind, which is
free.  One way or the other, you should be able to get a copy of the
study material in a format you can access.

There is also an excellent web site for exam practice that gives you
instant feedback after a practice test, including your score and which
questions you got right/wrong.  If you can pass this exam
consistently, your actual test will be a piece of cake:

http://aa9pw.com/

(This site also has great resources for learning Morse code, which is
no longer a requirement for your license, but you will definitely want
to do it anyway!)

The final hurdle is to find a way to take the test.  You can find out
when exams are offered in your area at:

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

However, if the thought of taking an exam in a huge room with umpteen
other folks with someone who might not be able to assist with your
disability is a concern, fear not!  There is a link on this same page
where you can search for local ham clubs.  Many will happily give you
the exam in a smaller setting.  I found some of the nicest guys I ever
met this way.  They read me the exam orally and I just told them my
choices, so accessing the exam was not a problem at all.  I did bring
my laptop so that I would have access to the calculator with my
screen-reading software; you definitely need some sort of accessible
calculator for several of the questions.  This exam session resulted
not only in my getting my license, but a very fun afternoon, as we all
had a good "rag chew" after the test was all over.  I think they would
have all rushed out to put a tower up in my backyard right then and
there if I had had the money to buy one right then. :)

If I can pass the exam, anyone can, just takes a little study.  I am
about to take my general class exam soon.  Good luck with your test!

David Thurmond, KK4ADV