From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:19:45 -0500
Tom Behler writes:
> 1.  Even with the Windows 7 machine and Jaws 12, I continue to have the
> problem where I often have to type the first character in an entry field
> twice before it stays.  This happened in all fields, which in the case of
> the P A Q P, were the call field, the serial number field, and the county
> field.  I know that David or someone on the list was working on this one,
> so
> I am interested if any progress has been made.  Apparently, it's a problem
> with the software, and I wonder if it has something to do with a conflict
> between it and Jaws.

> I will write to Scott Davis, N3FJP,  on these issues if needed, although
> he
> openly admits he's not familiar with Jaws and with Windows 7, so I'm
> seeking
> your input and advice first.

	It probably is a conflict with JAWS but the author of
the logging software most likely wrote his program in C, C++ or
some other high-level programming language which means he may
not know what is going on under the hood, so to speak.

	You might tell support at Freedom Scientific what is
happening because they have probably seen this movie before as I
bet it is some interaction between a certain type of
input statement and routines in JAWS that are handling keyboard
interrupts.

	I don't know any more that that as I neither use Windows
nor JAWS, but I used to use DOS a lot and wrote a screen reader
for myself  and ran in to all sorts of fun and games when
software applications need to play games with the keyboard
interrupt.

	Which ever interrupt ends up down stream is at the mercy
of the one that ended up upstream.

	You might ask the author of the logging software if he
will kindly tell you what the program is written in such as
Visual C, C++ or whatever? Ask what kind of input statement is
used in those fields that give trouble? The worst he would do is
tell you that he doesn't want to share that information and he
might just also tell you what you need to know. Most people are
pretty decent if they know you are trying to solve a problem and
not just snooping.