Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:38:20 -0700
7bit
Sender:
From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
I've been pretty lucky here as well.
I've managed to become friends and gotten allot of respect from some very
technically able, and willing hams in the area.
When we recently put up the full sized carolina windom, and the dual band
VHF/UHF antennas, we initially had 2 people, plus myself, for the
project...by the time we were done we had four plus myself just from making
it known on the repeater that we were working on the project that afternoon.
Both push ups, and the 132ft windom, as well as the dual band antenna,
including all coax, routing, and connecters at the feedpoints and in the
shack, was completed in 4 hours.
I think that was mostly because 2 of the three helpers are very experienced
antenna and tower installers that can look at a situation and pretty much
know how things are going to go from the beginning.
But at any rate, I just had to ask, and didn't really offer a whole lot in
return, like the typical pizza and beer or whatever...everyone had other
things to do later in the day, but chose to take some time out, if for no
other reason to get the project started.  It was just lucky we finished
everything in one afternoon.
Allot of that was my being well prepared ahead of time though.  I had all
the parts and pieces and most of the tools layed out and ready to go before
anyone showed up.
Conversely, I helped one of those same helpers, a month before, go up and
retune his dual band VHF/UHF antenna.  It took us 8 hours by the time all
was said and done because he was not prepared ahead of time.

So, I think if you make sure that who ever you might ask for help, knows
that it'll be as simple as it can be to give you a hand, I think they're
more willing.
Or, if you show up at a club meeting with the stuff you need help with, and
make it known that you would like some help, someone will come out of the
wood work...either at the break or end of the meeting, or will make
arrangements to come by and help.

73
Colin, V A6BS