Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:10:28 -0500

Hi All~~

I subscribe to newsletters from Food Business News and found this article
in the August 8th edition. Perhaps I have tunnel vision because I can't eat
wheat (gluten), but this doesn't seem to be a responsible thing for Bayer
to do. Of course, the number of celiac disease patients has been at one in
100-133 for the past ten years, so unless physicians and health care
organizations test more patients, celiac disease and gluten intolerance
will never be taken seriously enough to change people's lives. We all adapt
to the GF diet in one way or another, but the cost in time and money
continues to be a serious problem. ~~Ayn in Kansas
_________

Bayer building wheat/oilseeds center in Australia
* *   FoodBusinessNews.net, Aug. 8, 2012   by Josh Sosland

<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&username=soslandfbn>
<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/news_home/Business_News/2012/08/Bayer_building_wheatoilseeds_c.aspx?ID=%7BD7F88F53-4317-496F-8F15-295838E0F7AD%7D&[log in to unmask]>

   MONHEIM, GERMANY — Bayer CropScience has announced plans to build a
breeding center in Australia focused on wheat and oilseeds. The €12 million
($17.4 million) facility will be built in the Wimmera region of Victoria,
in the southeastern corner of the country.

Bayer said the center will target the development of new, higher yielding
varieties “tailored to Australian conditions.” The facility will serve as
the center for Bayer wheat/oilseed breeding activities. The company has
entered into a long-term rental agreement for land on which to build the
laboratory and glasshouse facilities with Longerenong College and Workco
Ltd. Fully staffed, the facility will have as many as 20 full-time
employees, Bayer said.

“With the demand for wheat and oilseeds growing worldwide, we drive our
efforts towards producing new high-yielding varieties that are better able
to withstand pests, diseases and able to thrive under environmental
stresses like drought,” said Mathias Kremer, head of the BioScience
business unit at Bayer CropScience. “We are convinced we can help make
wheat and oilseeds farmers in Australia and beyond more productive and
sustainable and thus contribute towards feeding this hungry planet.”

Bayer said construction of the breeding center will begin in the months
ahead with initial local breeding programs expected to yield results for
Australian farmers “within the decade.”

Bayer already has wheat and oilseeds breeding stations in North America and
Europe and plans further expansion especially for wheat in Asia and Latin
America in the medium term, the company said.

The company noted about 25% of the world’s agricultural land is used to
grow wheat, making it the most widely grown crop globally.

--
*
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace...* Millen