From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:02:26 -0400

I often buy bel trio in Italian restaurants....fresh mozzarella slices, with basil and sliced tomatoes, drizzled in olive oil, but all I had at home was shredded cheese (approaching expiration date), lots and lots of basil in the garden, and a big ripe tomato.

Slice the tomato. Top with fresh basil leaves and shredded cheese, and hit it with salt, pepper, and oregano.  (Not a lot of salt.  Or leave out the salt. Tomatoes have inherent salt and the cheese is salty.)

Put it in the oven until it melted.  Could have used olive oil, but figured the cheese would be messy enough.

What a quick way to use up tomatoes and prolific basil...And an easy dish for one person, or side dish for more.  It could even be a light lunch, on its own, set on a piece of lettuce.  I'm sure this recipe isn't original...

Lin