From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2011 10:28:23 -0500
My 41-year-old amp doesn't have a tuned input, but I would think that an amp
from the 1980s would have.  Even if tuned, the SWR may still be 1.5:1 or
more on some frequencies.  I have to tune up the FT950 into the amp
separately from tuning it up into the antenna when running barefoot.  This
reduces the drive requirement to 40 or 45 watts for my amp, and ensures that
the SWR circuit is not having to cut back on the power.

The other concern with old amplifiers and new solid-state rigs is the
current, and also the maximum voltage applied across the switching
transistor.  My amp's switching relay can produce at least 60 volts across
the 950's switching transistor, whichh is outside its ratings.  So I use an
Ameritron ARB704 relay buffer between the 950 and the amplifier.  This is
not an amplifier that you would use in a remote-controlled station.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls