From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 23:23:28 -0500
I don't remember hearing any of those celebrity PSA's, but they aren't very
different from what FEMA tells us today at ready.gov or other websites.

I heard some of those early ConElRad tests.  I don't know how it was done,
but they could transmit a common audio feed to several radio stations and
synchronize them so that, on either 640 or 1240 kilocycles, they would
switch every few seconds from one radio station to a different one.  The
theory was that the direction-finding equipment on Soviet bombers would not
be able to get a fix on any targets, but the public could still receive
emergency information.  At that time, ballistic missiles weren't known to be
a threat.

Hams were also required to stop all transmissions if an emergency situation
were to begin.  QST had articles on how to make a Conelrad monitor, an AM
radio with a light that would go out if your local station had jumped from
its frequency to either 640 or 1240.  My father, K0DYK, built one of these
so we would be ready.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls