From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 00:15:27 -0400
At my former qth I actually did compare the 2 antennas, I didn't have the
g5rv for 160, just the standard 10-80 one so the cobra did work pretty well
on 160 and the g5rrv didn't, I can't compare there but everywhere else, the
g5rv was noticeably better on 75 and 40, worked on 30, was a tiny bit down
on 20 though it wasn't very noticeable unless the band was completely dead,
17, 15, 12 and 10 it was amazingly a little bit better than the g5RV. Where
it was better it was a little quieter as well, it didn't seem as apt to pick
up the summer storm noise and what not as the G5RV does. It was enough
better I really miss it but a g5RV is all I have room for where I am now.
The main thing is the cobra ultralite is fed with ladder line which is not a
problem for some, is for others, I ran it through my vinal windows at my
former qth right to about 6 feet from the radio, because the coax I had
going outside broke and that was a quick fix and it worked so well, I was
perfectly happy to leave it that way. Normally I don't like ladder line in
my shack.