From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 15:03:22 -0500
At 1/4/2012 12:03 AM, you wrote:

When I had the same problem, it turned out to be the cable broadband
that caused it.   I had purchased a Cable modem from the cable
company when I had broadband installed several years ago.   When I
filed a complaint about the speed, they said the modem I was using
was no longer supported by the cable company when they "increased"
the speed for no increase in price.  The older modem did not support
the new protocol that they had introduced (without making this
incompatibility known to customers).   My speeds would vary all over the map.

Doug

>Date:    Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:06:10 -0800
>From:    Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: USB network adaptor
>
>My daughter's laptop (a new Sony Vaio Z) is having problems with the
>built-in Intel Centrion N 6230 wireless adaptor. The older Vaio Z that she
>still has works fine, but the new one works fine for a while and then
>becomes VERY slow with speeds of 14kbps or so.
>

>I am considering getting her a USB network adaptor to circumvent the problem
>and am looking for recommendations for such a device. Obviously, small size
>is helpful. Newegg shows various brands including Intellinet, StarTech,
>Roswill, Asus, and Encore. Problem is that reviews show all to have good and
>bad ratings. Any feedback from the list would be appreciated.
>

>If by chance anyone has a solution to the Centrino adaptor problems, that
>would obviously be even better. So far I have tried new Intel drivers and
>adjusting the networking settings with no improvement. It may work well for
>several hours, and then drop speed for a long time also. Did try changing
>the router frequency to no avail. Interestingly, the signal strength shows
>as being very strong even when speed is slow. PING times to the router are
>50 to 1000 ms or even timeout when it goes in the slow mode. The router is a
>D-Link DIR_655 in case that may matter.
>

>Thank you.
>

>Peter Shkabara

>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                         Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>

>End of PCBUILD Digest - 30 Dec 2011 to 3 Jan 2012 (#2012-1)

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com