BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 03:02:01 -0400
On 7/11/2011 10:10 AM, Becker, Dan wrote:
> [...]
my opinion is that the client never intended to reconstruct the house,
they needed to get it out of there so that the local histo presto folks
would think they were saving the house and would give permission for
them to sell to the developer who wanted to trash it and build something
else

we got sucked into that, thought it would extend the experience base,
and it did... don't expect materials salvage guys to treat the old house
friendly

but then again, the old part of the house (nobody cared to save the new
part) may not have been anywhere near as old or historic as some people
seemed to think -- water sawn timbers checked against earliest presumed
date of water powered saws in the area did not add up to a 17th c timber
frame

it may have had more to do with histo presto being used as a tool to
block the developer, rather than use zoning

the homeowners at post-retirement age, and not able to maintain their
house, probably wanted to do whatever they could to cash in and get the
hell out of there, and it was before the housing bust so they may have
been near enough to the top of the market

][<