From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 18:30:22 -0600

*Red Star Yeast is made in Milwaukee and develops recipes for bread
machines, many of which by Wisconsin manufacturers. GF recipes are part of
Our Best Recipes on their website... www.redstaryeast.com

Since bread machines are sized to make various sizes of loaves, a large
recipe/mix can be a problem if you have one of the small loaf machine. One
of the smartest tips I heard was to mix the entire mix in the machine and
then removed enough for a pizza crust or rolls/buns to be baked in the oven.
That keeps the dough from overflow the pan when it rises--a real mess!

(I & my kids found making decent loaves of GF in old bread machines to a
frustration experience, but the machines are GREAT to mix up the dough
quickly. They keep the 'dust in the box' so much better than a mixer. While
in college, my son would mix up two loaves, one after the other,
transferring them into loaf pans to rise and bake. There was more control
over the rising/baking times and the loaves had more useable slices/less
waste. The second loaf was sliced & went into the freezer so he didn't have
to bake every week.  It also saved time because there was only 1 mess to
clean up which offset the extra few minutes it took to mix up that second
batch .)   Here in Milwaukee, oriental groceries have wonderfully fine white
rice flour (red print on bag/made in Thailand), sweet rice flour (green bag
by same company), plus tapioca and potato starches, all for $1 or less per
pound. Worth looking for if you do a lot of baking. Risk of cross
contamination is low since all are packaged bags at point of origin before
being shipped for sale around the world.  We've been using them for 30 years
and they finally have GF on the label.

*I use 125 best gluten free bread machine recipes by Donna Washburn and
Heather Butt there is five pizza dough recipes in it. I use this book a lot
for bread and pizza we eat pizza weekly.

*I like Zorijushi bread makers. I use Bette Hagmans old cookbooks to make
challah and mock rye, on the rare occasion that I bake. I use quick bake
setting.

*My 9yo daughter loves Pamela's Products Wheat-Free
<http://www.amazon.com/Pamelas-Products-Wheat-Free-Gluten-Free-19-Ounce/dp/B
000DZFMEQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326384683&sr=8-2> & Gluten-Free, Amazing
Bread Mix, 19-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6) $28.10 with autoship subscription.
It is kind of sweet, but my daughter thinks that is a good thing.  It smells
really great in the bread maker and makes good sandwiches for her lunchbox.
The autoship subscription is not as scary as it looks. They email you before
they send it and you can skip any shipment that you want.  We use about a
bag/week and none of their autoship options matches that consumption, so we
sign up for a autoship/month and skip some or ask for an immediate ship
every once in a while.  We still get the autoship rate.

*I love Breads by Anna in the breadmaker. I buy it online. It's easy to make
and tastes great. It's much better than Udi's, that's hardly a comparison. I
slice and freeze the loaf and just get a piece out when I want. I thaw it in
the toaster and it is just like it was never frozen. Toast it twice and its
toasted bread. My husband is not gf and he likes it better than "regular"
bread.

*In my opinion, Breads by Anna are the best mixes out there.  I've used this
mix in my bread machine and it does a terrific job on the whole wheat
setting.

*We make pizza every Friday night.  Non-celiacs like our pizza.  We use
Pamela's amazing bread mix...so easy.  I buy the box of three 4 pound bags
from Amazon. I follow the directions on the package, all you need to add is
oil, yeast, and hot water.  It suggests you add Italian Seasoning and/or
parmesan cheese. We add both and it makes a delicious crust.  I pre-cook the
crusts for about 12-15 minutes, add the sauce and toppings and then cook for
another 15 minutes or so.  After pre-cooking, take a spatula and loosen
crust from edges and bottom of pan-this will make it so much easier to cut
your pizza once it is ready to eat.
Thank you to everyone for your responses.  I also received a couple bread
recipes.  If you would like the recipes, please let me know and I will email
them in a word document.  Rita

*The trick to getting the dough to spread into the pan:  oil pan and dust
with corn meal; plop spoonfuls of batter onto the pan; sprinkle dry pizza
flour mix on top of that dough, dip your fingers into a small bowl of the
dry flour mix and spread dough with fingertips, keep adding flour mix on top
of batter and to your fingers, as much as needed so that it doesn't stick to
your fingers.  It took some time to perfect this system, but I can spread
dough in no time at all without it sticking to my fingers and making a mess.

*You don't make the Pamela's mix in a bread machine-at least I don't.  I
just use my Kitchen Aid mixer.  The directions tell you to let the dough
rise for an hour. If you do buy this mix on Amazon, buy it through Subscribe
and Save.  It's free shipping and discounted price...no obligation.  You set
up a delivery schedule but you can change it or cancel it at any time, no
money involved. It makes so much sense given the discount.

*Bob's Red Mill makes some very good bread mixes that work well in my bread
machine.

*I like Pamela's bread mix.  One variation I especially like is the
cinnamon/raisin.  The directions say to bake that one in the oven, but I
just mix it in while the dough is kneading (have Cusinart w/GF setting)and
let it bake in the bread maker.