From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:30:29 -0700
From:
http://scienceblog.com/community/older/2004/1/2004092.shtml

>"We are the only state that keeps a comprehensive database of people with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease," said James N. Laditka, D.A., Ph.D., of the University of South Carolina at Columbia. "We combine data from hospitalizations, emergency department visits, the mental health system, long-term care evaluations, Medicaid, research centers specializing in memory disorders, and the state's Vital Records Office. We currently follow over 37,000 individuals living with Alzheimer's disease."

Laditka and colleagues found that African Americans aged 55 to 64 years were more than three times as likely to have Alzheimer's as their European American counterparts. At ages 65 to 84, African Americans were more than twice as likely to have Alzheimer's. The difference diminishes with age, likely due to greater mortality among African Americans. But even over the age of 85 African Americans have an Alzheimer's rate nearly 1.5 times higher. Laditka and colleagues also found that the highest rates clustered in counties where local populations were more likely to be overweight. <

Other studies have also shown that Mexicans also have a higher rate ( 1.5 x) than European Americans.
The second largest long-term nutrition study ever done ( U of Hawaii, 7500 men, 25 years) showed a relationship between beans and altzheimers.
Cultural differences in bean consumption would explain the racial disparities displayed by the data.
Remember, in order to be a legume, by definition, a seed must contain neurotoxins.
These alkoloids are found in all true beans.

Ray Audette
NeanderThin.com