From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:33:20 -0600
citizen's banders can't get a license for the regular 40 channel segment of
the band.
There used to be a licensing scheme in place, but that has been gone for a
few decades now.
As for outside the regular 40, well, that's not citizen's band anymore, but
considered commercial band, so yes, you can get a license for operation on
some of those frequencies.
That said, I don't think I've ever heard of any commercial interest using
freqs above 27.405 up to 28.000 or below 26.895 down to 24.995.
And since no one is using it, CB dx'ers tend to use it allot.
Again, the analogy that I like to use, is that it's kind of like travelling
at a speed higher than the posted speed limit on an open highway with little
traffic.  yes, technically it's illegal, but it's certainly not harming
anyone and it's not causing problems for anyone.
We get uptight about it because we're all licensed radio operators and kind
of frown on the use of unlicensed operators on frequencies where there
should be licensed users.

73
Colin, V A6BKX