From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:28:01 -0500
Hi, everyone.

Today, I was late for the cross-country blind ops net, but did have a nice
chat afterwords on 14.258 with Steve (KW3A) and Bob (WA0KZB).  Hope I got
your call right, Bob.  (grin)

Anyway, Steve indicated that I sounded a bit light, so I did some
re-adjusting of carrier and mic gain settings so that now, for SSB, my
carrier setting is 50, and my mic gain setting is 68.  These are close to,
if not identical to, the settings Steve uses for his Heil mic, and since I
too have a Heil GM5 mic, I thought I'd replicate those settings.

When I did some testing, my ALC meter said "over" several times, but when I
backed off from the mic a bit, the readings ran between 12 and 14.

So, I think I'm clost to being in the ball park here.

Do these settings sound reasonable?

My next questions are these:  1.  can you vary the carrier settings by
mode?;  and 2.  What's a reasonable carrier setting for CW mode?  And, ?

Finally, I made one other interesting discovery here:  If I press the meter
function button longer than usual, I seem to go into a mode where the
carrier function does not read out any longer.  In other words, I get "a0"
no matter what I do.  Does anyone know what this extra function of the meter
function button is?

I thought I'd ask these questions here, rather than posting them to the
TS590 list, where folks might not totally understand what we have to go
through to make things work correctly sometimes.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ