From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 05:13:52 -0700
I haven't been in much of this discussion, but is your trailer metal or
fiber glass.  If made of a conductive material, you need the radiating
part of the antenna a above the metal.  If this is the case, the mast
should be conductive and part of the ground system as the entire body of
your trailer should be.  My friend just has his mounted on a trailer
hitch which mounts to the frame, not two foot above ground.  Remember,
your mobile antenna is just a vertical.  You can move it higher, but if
it is way above ground, say on a non conductive mast, you're changing the
impedence of the thing.  I see no reason at all for it to be
non conductive.  If you want, give me a call some time on phone or radio
and we can discuss things.  I once had a discussion with the a e s
people in Vegas who really had no clue on antenna theory or radiation.
We were mounting an antenna on a club trailer and I said I wanted the
longer piece under the coil.  Their comment was, "just mount the antenna
higher"  I tried to explain them it wasn't the height, but that you
want more of the current radiating part under the load.  That is which a
top load is best, although not practical.  Center load is next best and
a base load will work, but not quite as well.  Although much is made of
s w r, standing waves on the antenna is what makes it radiate.  AT the
feed point of 50 ohms, current is high and voltage low.  As you move out
toward the end, voltage goes up and current drops.

73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148